Periodic Musings

Mindless musings with marginal meaning.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Truth About Christmas


I’ve spent the last 6 months writing periodically and with great cynicism and sarcasm about life, experiences I have had, and things with which I have had contact. I want to step away from that for a moment, during this Christmas season, and offer some hope. It’s not my usual posting, but I hope you find equally as compelling; I know I do.

It was undoubtedly a cold, dark, night in Bethlehem some 2,000+ years ago that an amazing event occurred that would forever change the world. Born to a virgin, in a stable, was a Child who would alter the course of history. Now, this stable wasn’t the cute little manger scene with fresh hay you have on your fireplace mantle. Think Texas Panhandle feed lot, and you are a lot closer to reality. Yet, in this supremely humble place, in a supremely humble state, came a King who supremely reigns forever and ever. That night, our lives were forever impacted because a Savior was born, One who once and for all could settle the debt we owe for the sins we have committed.

This King’s birth wasn’t like any other King’s birth. There were no sterile hospital rooms, smiling nurses, and excited friends. There were no royal ceremonies, feasts, and celebrations. No, there were lowly sheep herders who came in from the fields to pay their respects and the ever present smell of livestock. When I think of the births of children today, with all the gifts and baby showers and celebration, I am humbled to think that the King of all creation was barely noticed by man as He came to this earth. Yet His purpose for coming to earth was to offer that same man who failed to notice Him hope and salvation.

There are so many things going on at this time of the year, so many distractions: decorating, gift exchanging, fellowship with family and friends. Make time this year to pause and read Luke 2. Take time to stop and be amazed at the grace of God, who sent His Son, His only Son, to the world that Christmas night for the sole purpose of dying on the cross and making atonement for our sins. We often see Christ as the baby in the manger but that was so minor a part of why He came to earth. Focus your heart on the great gift which we have been given, and for which we are so completely undeserving, and offer gratitude and thanks to the Father in heaven that His love for us was so great, He sent Christ to be our sacrifice.

It truly is a wonderful time of year, but not for all the generally accepted reasons. No, it is wonderful for one reason and one reason only: the hope of salvation. Without Christmas and what it represents, our lives have no meaning and our future has no hope. Remember that this season, and offer thanks to God for all He has done for us, and most importantly for His Son, our hope and our salvation. “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!! (2 Corinthians 9:15 NASB) May you have a blessed Christmas!!!

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too
y'all have a safe trip

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some theologians believe Christ was actually born in a cave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home