The Demise of An American Icon
When last I mused, my beautiful bride and I had welcomed our son into the world and were settling in as new parents. Now, four weeks later, I find myself immeasurably suited for raising an infant. The rigidity of Sam’s schedule, as well as the predictability of his actions, reminds me of my own personality and life. I have embraced this schedule, perhaps more so than he. It’s a beautiful thing…we’re raising a Type A child before he has a chance to develop any other personality traits. A striking similarity between father and son: he keeps his little brow in a perpetual furrow, as if worried about how Dad’s going to pay for diapers, clothes, and college even as Dad is worrying about those very same things. Yes, we are doing very well.

I went to the post office to pick up a package the other day and subsequently spawned this musing: what has happened United States Postal Service (USPS)? I rarely go to the post office anymore because it usually represents the low point in my day but I have never seen such a customer un-friendly, apathetic group of government employees in my life! Now I realize they are government employees and I am fully aware that our government bears striking similarity to that old rusty car parked in your front yard…it used to look sharp and run well. When you moved it into the front yard, you had every intention of restoring it to its former greatness but it’s been up on blocks so long that no amount of money is worth spending to fix it now. Your wife just wants you to get rid of it but you can’t bear to part with it because you remember what it used to be.
The USPS is a joke. It seems the cost of stamps increases every year yet, in every facet of their business, the USPS operates less efficiently than the year before. As stated, I went to pick up a
package. I was second in the “package pick up line” but waited for ten minutes before it was my turn to have the lone “package retrieval employee” search for what seemed like an eternity for my certified letter. One would think, at bare minimum, the frequent increase in stamp prices would at least buy some better package organization and one extra “package retrieval employee” during busy times. Gone are USPS sanctioned vehicles delivering the mail. What has replaced them is, like the college students on my block, a menace to the streets. People driving one handed from the passenger side of their personal vehicle sort through the mail with their “free” hand while trying to negotiate their way through a maze of cars parked on the side of the street. Sound safe? If I drove from the passenger side of my vehicle, I’d be arrested. The Transportation Administration (another broken government entity) spends countless taxpayer dollars a year on automobile safety yet they sanction this safety debacle? If you ever ask USPS to hold your mail while you are on vacation, you can be sure to receive all of your junk mail advertisements, as well as some of your neighbor’s but nothing else. Bills, magazines, letters, etc. just disappear in the abyss of the post office back room.If we must be forced to embrace this inefficient money pit then I only ask one thing: change your motto. "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds” no longer seems appropriate. I propose the following: “snow, rain, heat, gloom of night and countless other debilitating factors shall keep these couriers from accomplishing their appointed rounds and duties properly, correctly and in an expeditious fashion”. Until next time, Happy Thanksgiving!!

5 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wanna hear a great joke? Here it is, compliments of the Washington Post:
Post Office Hopes Idea Of 'Forever Stamp' Sticks
First-Class Rate Would Be Locked In
By Christopher Lee
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, May 4, 2006; Page A01
Nothing lasts forever -- except, just maybe, the cost of mailing a letter.
After increasing rates 13 times in 32 years, the U.S. Postal Service proposed a way yesterday for consumers to lock in the price of a first-class stamp, which officials want to raise by 3 cents, to 42 cents, next year.
Postal officials pitched the idea of creating a "forever stamp" that would be good for sending first-class mail no matter how much -- or how often -- the cost of a postage stamp goes up. The announcement came on the same day that the Postal Service said it would seek to raise the price of a first-class stamp for the second consecutive year.
No . . . that "perpetual furrow" simply means that his little digestive tract is still working, and that you'll see the results of his labours shortly. But still no less a "striking similarity between father and son," I hasten to add.
Oh Steve........you crack me up!
On the usps...if you happen to receive a neighbors piece of mail or happen to find that your mail is missing-I urge you to call and complain to your local post office. We have had several pieces of mail go missing and turn up in our mailbox several months later. By the way Moffitt, we got your Christmas card in May. Thanks to our lazy college-aged neighbors who don't find it important to return our bills in a timely fashion to their appropriate mail receptacles. I'm done, Peace Out
Post a Comment
<< Home